Saturday, September 10, 2005

The Great Escape

Ut oh! ... meow.. meow. Mom is not happy with me at all right now. meow ... I managed to get out of the shop without her knowing and she could not find me. She was a little purrrturbed!! Well, that is, once she calmed down from thinking I was lost forever....

My whole experience of the outdoors is my walk from the house to the shop, which sits on the same property. I am strictly an inside kitty. Being a ragdoll, I am bred to be docile and loving. Knowing how to fight back to protect myself just isn't in my genes. So Mom keeps a pretty tight leash on me, no matter how bad I think I want to be outside chasing bugs. My routine in the morning is go outside, eat some grass beside the path to the shop and pounce on a few flies along the way...purrr. If I even look like I am going to stray off the path, Mom picks me up and carries me the rest of the way. Usually I mind my p's & q's and do what I am supposed to, cause, I like the taste of the sweet, green grass and it is fun to chase the bugs in the yard..purrr.

The other day though, I was in the shop when Dad came in and he was standing by the door like he was going to go back out. Well, that is my cue saying it is time to go home, or so I thought... mew. They were talking and not really paying attention to me, and when Dad opened the door, I went out. He must not have seen me cause he didn't call me to follow him home and he didn't pick me up to take me home. I was FREE!!! at last. Now to see what this outside looks like.

Along side the shop is a high fence that I can't see over. It is made of wood boards so I can't see through it and I just had to find out what was over on the other side. Slowly, I walked along the boards til I came to an opening big enough I could slink through. Hmmm ... I was in a small building. Looking around I knew it wasn't the shop, or home. The door was ajar, so I carefully crept through to open space once again. There was a house over yonder with a swing and a deck. Moving forward, I focused on reaching the deck. A little nervous and aware of every noise, I inched my way. The ground was covered with pebbles not the sweet grass we had at home. The closer I got to the deck, the pebbles turned to solid dirt. I didn't like this place. Looking around again, I thought, where was Mom, my home. I could see the fence still and I hurried over to it to find my way back to the other side. Why wasn't Mom here to pick me up and take me to the security of our house. I was really getting anxious now, I couldn't find the hole in the fence. Quite a bit of time had passed and still no one was around. A dog was barking nearby, can he get to me, I wondered.

What was that?? Did I hear Mom's voice?? Is she looking for me?? Meowww ... Meowww. I'm over here... I'm over here. I hear it again.. "Kodi.. where are you?" Meowwww.... Meowwww... Here .. Here. Then Mom comes around the corner of this strange house. I am not sure if she is mad... something in her voice. "Kodi... what are you doing over here? I have been sooo worried" (Aww.. Mom I just wanted to explore) Still not sure where I stood with her, I started to walk away. "Kodi, come here Kodi. It's ok." Meowwww, Meowwww. "Well come here, Kodi" her voice changes to coax me to her, as I wander under the deck. "No Kodi.. don't go under the deck... come here... it's ok... come on Kodibug" Still trying to coax me out, I hear another voice. Mom is talking to another lady, saying I went under the deck. "Come on, Kodi... It's alright" She's bending over now and trying to purrsaude me it was ok. Meowwww, Meowww. I slowly come out, meowing, cowering close to the ground. "Come here baby.. it's ok" Meow.. Meow... Mom picks me up in her arms, kisses my head and snuggles against me. Meowww.. meowww. "It's ok, we're going home" She says something to the lady, I didn't care what, and we start out for home. Meowwww.. Meowww. "It's ok Kodi.. we'll be home soon" Meowww... meowww, I cried all the way home and couldn't wait to get inside. Close to the porch I tried to wriggle free and Mom just held tighter. "You can't get down yet" she said to me... and she opened the door and put me on the floor, while I was still wriggling to get free. Meowww. meowww. As soon as I was on the floor, I high-tailed it to my favorite spot under Mom's bed. There I stayed for several hours. Finally feeling secure again, I ventured to the living room. Mom was there and I curled up beside her, not letting her out of my sight for the rest of the evening. It was good to be home, safe and loved...purrrr.

My adventure will last me for awhile. I enjoy the outdoors by watching the birds and squirrels through the window and chattering at them from the warmth and safety of my perch. My routine is still the same in the mornings, and I make sure I stay on the path to the shop, stopping along the way to indulge in some sweet, green grass and pounce on a couple flies. When we reach the shop, I am purrfectly content to go inside with Mom, curl up on her desk in front of the computer monitor and take my catnaps and enjoy my belly rubs... dreaming of the next adventure.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home